The history of the Coventry Machinists Co is also the history of the cycle industry itself.
1889 Coventry Machinists Co ‘Swift’ Safety Bicycle
‘Model D’ Crossframe
30″ Equal Wheels
SWIFT CROSSFRAME SAFETY 1888-1891
1890 IRISH SWIFT SAFETY
THE COVENTRY CYCLE INDUSTRY
Extracts (available on google) from: ‘Critical Geographies of Cycling: History, Political Economy and Culture’ by Professor Glen Norcliffe
LOCATION: PRESTON PARK CLOCK TOWER
The terracotta Clock Tower in Preston Park had its foundation stone laid in 1891 and its formal unveiling ceremony on 17th June 1892. The tower was designed by Francis May, paid for by Edward White (whose initials EW adorn the tower), and the draughtsman for the plans was Eugenius Birch. Birch also conceived and designed Brighton Aquarium and was the architect responsible for the West Pier.