A partnership was formed between William Priest and Walter John Lloyd on 22 August 1881, though the Lloyd brothers are also mentioned in early advertisements.
Quadrant machines had been patented in 1882 and shown at the 1883 Stanley Show when the first catalogue was produced. The Quadrant name was registered as a trade mark from 3 April 1884. The name came from the shaped bearings in which the tricycle guide wheel steered.
The Quadrant Cycle Co name was effective from 1 January 1892.