1910 Chater Lea X Frame (Raleigh Pattern)

CHATER LEA Mfg Co Ltd

William Brighton Chater Lea (b.18/08/1859) acquired his engineering skills as an apprentice at Linley and Biggs, maker of the ‘Whippet’. He had ridden a Whippet with some success in the renowned Catford hill climb in 1888, 1889 and 1891.

He invented an easily adjustable ball head for the ordinary (1889/14847). In 1890 he patented an ingenious chain-protecting cover, consisting of an endless rubber band, U-shaped, and reinforced by a canvas insertion. It enclosed the outer surface of the chain, and rotated with it, and necessitated the use of a dry lubricant which did not perish the rubber. About a year later he brought out a light mudguard that could be rolled up like a blind.

Chater Lea manufactured fittings and component parts from 1891 at a small workshop in Richmond Street, Clerkenwell, London. The company produced a double top tube frame from 1895 in sizes up to 28 in. Orders for tandems were passed to F. H. Scott while the orders for bicycles were passed to the Raleigh Cycle Co. As the business expanded new premises were acquired in 1895 at Great Sutton Street and in 1896 the business moved again to 114-120 Golden Lane, London EC1.

In 1895 William Chater Lea patented a domed spring cap to fill up the open end of front fork blades and this sold in great numbers until the adoption of the box crown (1895/17192). He was a great believer in large diameter ball bearings, using 5/16 in. balls in the bottom bracket.

In 1912 a new factory was built at 74-84 Banner Street, London and two years later additional premises were obtained at nearby Garrett Street. The company supplied under licence from F Bowden of Raleigh Cycle Co a cross-frame actually made by the Raglan Cycle Co.

It appears that the hyphenated name was adopted in the early 1920s but only by the company, not the individual. W. Chater Lea died on 15 September 1927 and control passed to his two sons. In 1928 the company relocated to New Icknield Way East, Letchworth. The company stopped making complete machines in 1929.

1910 Chater Lea X Frame (Raleigh Pattern)

with BSA 3-speed gear 

25″ Frame

28″ Wheels

 

When this Chater Lea X Frame was built, the original patent holders had every permutation of cross frame covered, and there was really no way to cross or twist the tubes of a bicycle to create a new X frame version that avoided the original patents. So Chater Lea used Raleigh’s X frame design under license. Chater Lea at this time were primarily a fittings manufacturer. According to Ray Miller’s Encyclopaedia, the frames were built for Chater Lea by Raglan Cycle Co.

It has a BSA 3 speed gear, chrome wheel rims and a period Brooks saddle. It’s much rarer than the Raleigh X Frame and uses Chater Lea components rather than Raleigh – compare the illustrations in the catalogue shown below.

The machine is in good condition all round and ready to ride.

 

 

 

1905 CHATER LEA CATALOGUE EXTRACTS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UNDERNEATH THE CHATER LEA

 

 

CHATER LEA FITTINGS MACHINES

As well as selling complete machines to the public and the trade, Chater Lea also sold fittings for companies to build their own bicycles. Here are some example from companies advertising Chater Lea X Frames. As you can see in the descriptions in the catalogue extracts below, a customer could choose any number of options to have it built to their own specifications.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FALMER VILLAGE POND

Falmer is mentioned in the Domesday Book, recording a population of 300 and a church in 1086. The manor of Falmer was held by the Priory of St Pancras at Lewes, but in 1776 it was sold to Thomas Pelham, later the Earl of Chichester. The church was rebuilt around 1850 in Norman style.

 

Chater Lea info with thanks to Ray Miller’s Encyclopaedia